The Grass May Be Greener

I looked over the fence into my neighbor’s yard
It is true the grass is greener there
The most beautiful emerald

There is perfection in its manicured landscaping
Flowers blooming in bright color
A shrub cut and shaped into an angel

I imagine there isn’t even an insect
There that wasn’t given a gilded invitation
To come play among the greenery

I turn to look at my own yard
The grass is a dull green with
The occasional weed waving in the wind

My flower gardens have yet to be planted
Cracked pottery mud splashed
Sits abandoned on the patio

As I stood bemoaning my lack of a green thumb
Giggles played through my thoughts
Visions of my little girls making mud pies

The very gardens without flowers were the fairy kingdoms
Where my little princesses held court
Dressed in ball gowns they found in their toy box

The grass on my yard my not be as green
But the memories planted there
Are more precious than a plaque reading
Yard of the month

Comments