Words Capsized Me


How does one
wrap a whole life
inside a bottle
begging salvation
from the inevitable?
Life is a sea that we will
all drown in one day.

I lie battered
against the rocks
of a broken spirit,
and lie bleeding
from the words that
capsized me.

Enough…
I hadn’t given,
done enough,
My whole being
had been given
to see you succeed.

The salty taste
of misunderstanding
has parched my voice.
I thirst for resolution.

If I were to toss an S.O.S
into life’s broken sea,
it would be for love to come save me.
from the pain of severed faith.

Susie Clevenger 2012
This was written for Ella's Edge at Real Toads.

Comments

Susan said…
". . . and lie bleeding from the words that capsized me . . ."

Here is where a raft would be better than an SOS!

"The pain of severed faith" is the most horrible pain, but here it is not the end, as the narrator is not ready to let the sea take her, is she?
Geraldine said…
I had a dream about starfish last night and lo and behold, your photo here this morning.

Your poem is beautiful Susie. Touching, evocative...despair and hope. You've touched on so much.

Hugs, G
Kerry O'Connor said…
I love the title of this poem, and how well you have explored the maritime metaphor in expressing your theme. A brilliant piece.
Helen said…
This is raw, honest and beautifully done! I was blown away on a personal level by stanza #1!!
Ella said…
I am so glad you joined in!
I could so relate to your message...
The pain in your salty brine also resonated with me~
Your voice, your words save us all!
Raw, wonderful and filled with magic!
Loved it! I'm working on mine now!
<3 @>------