Diplomacy of Honey

The beautiful art of Chelsea Bednar


Mother, I float
on the brine
of your tears
shed for my
right to speak.

Courage is
the heritage
you have
written in
my spirit.

Be calm
and trust
I have the
strength
to face iron.

Honey placed
upon acrid lips
will seduce peace
from a heart of war.



© Susie Clevenger 2013

 Margaret Bednar at Real Toads offered the artistic talent of her daughter, Chelsea,  as inspiration for us to create. Chelsea's beautiful face painting is based on the African goddess, Yemaya Oshun. I chose the story of Oshun's visit to Oggun, the god of iron and war, for my piece. African Mythology



Comments

Margaret said…
That last stanza is lovely and may we all have such heritage.
De Jackson said…
First of all, major kudos for that title.
This is a beautiful piece.
Kay L. Davies said…
I love "the brine of your tears shed for my right to speak"...how wonderful if the tears of all mothers were to give their daughters such a gift.
Bravo, Susie!
K
Ellecee said…
This is a beautiful poem,,,I like the lines
"Honey placed
upon acrid lips
will seduce peace" If only this proves true,,,,
Heidi said…
Lovely poem and nice interpretation of the art work and mythology.
Susan said…
A poem I wish I had written! "Courage is the heritage you have written in my spirit. "
Yes! salt tears->honey-> heart of peace. Gosh!
Kerry O'Connor said…
Your title is brilliant, Susie. I really like the way you presented your poem as a dramatic monologue in which daughter addresses mother. This line must surely touch every mother who fears for her child's safety away from her protection:

Be calm and trust I have the strength to face iron...
Ella said…
I love this Susie!
A beautiful gift~