NaPoWriMo 2013 (playing catch up) Day 11 ~ Coin Purse Shells


My husband fidgets with
the energy of a child and
watches the horizon for
his first glimpse of Mexico.

“I can’t believe we are almost there.
I have never stepped beyond the shores
of the United States and soon we will
touch our toes upon the beaches of Cozumel.”


I line my pockets
with coin purse shells
holding treasured white sand.

Money cannot buy the joy
of blue water and dreams
etching their way into my memory.

How does one write words
that do justice to the beauty
dancing across my retinas?

I want to stay, plant my hope
among the waves and feel
them splash me with renewal.

Mexico, your colors will be
the sunshine lighting my thoughts
when darkness tries to have its way.

 “It seems we left pieces of us in the sand of Mexico doesn’t it hun? Home looks different. There is so much clutter and threadbare nerves here. I wish we could go back, say the hell with getting ahead and just live on tortillas, love and dreams.”

  
©Susie Clevenger 2013

Corey at Real Toads has us writing Destinations and Dialogue



Comments

Margaret said…
Well I thought I fell in love with the last stanza... but your last quote was perfect! And I can relate.
Herotomost said…
Heavy, unadulteraged, homogonized, sigh.....I so love Mexico. I could relate to every last thought and line. If you get a chance, look up a place called Isla Holbox, it so not touristy, a fishing village of 2500 people, no cars on the island, no one selling you stuff and there is a hotel called Casa Las Tortugas that is soooo nice and very affordable. I have been there 5 times and may go back again this year. I have been to Cozumel, Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Puerto Penasco, Ensanada but so far, it is my favorite little gem. Great wtite Susie...
This is the way my latest hero, Lord George Gordon Noel B, would have written, if he had wanted to be introspective. It has this easy flowing, normal sounding way of his, whether the subject matter be witty or sad.

BTW, I can't help applauding Corey's 'slip of the key': unadultaraged. What a concept!