Devotion



I called his name
when I was afraid
and you were
there to comfort me.

I stood confused
not knowing how
to put on my shoes
and gently you
placed them on my feet.

I became agitated
when sunset came
and you took my hand
to wait beside me
as the shadows settled
across the wall.

I no longer knew
how to dance
and you gently took me
In your arms
to guide me
through the steps.

I forgot so many things
in those sorrowful last days,
but you were there
to hold me in the fog,
a devoted husband
remembering
all the memories I had lost.

©Susie Clevenger 2012

 Someday when we meet up yonder
We’ll stroll hand in hand again
In a land that knows no parting
Blue eyes crying in the rain.

                           Fred Rose

For my Mama and Pappy 
The last time I saw them dance was to this song.





Comments

Kerry O'Connor said…
This is the tenderness of love at its most devoted. Thanks for reminding us what it is all about.
Marian said…
aw, Susie, so touching and personal and yet so universal, too. lovely. thank you for sharing.
Kay L. Davies said…
So sad and so beautiful, Susie. I love it.
K
Unknown said…
What a precious recollection of what was, as well as what was lost. Love's longevity at it's finest, at it's toughest.
Ella said…
This was sad and beautiful~ Devoted love is the best~ (((hugs)))
Happy Valentine's Day!
Sherry Blue Sky said…
This is so moving, Susie.......have you ever seen the Canadian movie Away From Her? A wonderful story of a couple, after the wife develops Alzheimers........if you have watched people close to you go through this, you will love this movie.
Ed Pilolla said…
such a beautiful song and piece.