A Prairie's Heartbreak


(Wiki Photograph of Pulsatilla patens growing in Boulder, Colorado.)



The flower grieves.
Petals bowed,
it shed’s tears
for the prairie
that has disappeared.

,~ hhh ~

I once gathered
prairie smoke
to lay upon
the breast
of my love.

Now
only stones
grow in the
grasslands
where flowers
bloomed.

~ hhh ~

There was a time
when the wind
bloomed blue
under the prairie sun.

Yesterday was
wildflower bouquets
held in cherub fingers.

Today is rock clouds
of a steel plow
devouring stems
with gritted teeth.


The Pulsatilla patens
 is also known as
prairie smoke, 
windflower
 and anemones. 
Alot of the prarie
 is disappearing
 under the blades
 of a plow.
Hannah 
at Real Toads
 has us writing
of prairie wild things. 




Comments

Susan said…
Beautiful voice in mourning, I hear and feel its blues, its breath in my ear. I see the image of blue blooming wind it conjures, the rock and steel that remain.
Grace said…
Lovely words Susie (we chose the same picture ~ I have to say though that the first one really touched my heart ~
Ella said…
You did touch on one's sense of longing for the view to remain the same, but it has not!
I agree this too touched me~
Margaret said…
...gritted teeth where once the wind blew blue.

'tis a slap in the face, a punch in the gut, this poem. Sigh.