Baby Boomer Milk and Strings



Jimmy Dorsey lullabies
rocked me to sleep in the womb
in a 1950’s Missouri small town.






As soon as my toddler shoes
could tap on a wooden dance floor
my baby boomer milk and strings
became Saturday night dosey does
dodging boots and beer bottles.






Puberty brought a 60’s appetite
for Beatles, Stones, and Hendrix
taking me to a new dance floor
vibrating with teenage rebellion.






Jumping the notes to 2013 music
finds me covered in blues, guitar strings,
and testing my body on a dance floor
where age disappears in rhythm.






Notes pulse in my blood
feeding a music addiction
swimming in my DNA
that desires no rehabilitation. 






Strung out on sound I snap, clap, tap and move
through days bursting with appreciation for talent
that continues to fuel my obsession.                 

  

©Susie Clevenger 2013

Fireblossom challenged us at Real Toads to write about what we live to do. Well, I answered with one of my passions outside of poetry.

Comments

Fireblossom said…
Music is a lifelong passion of mine, too! It is a friend that has always been there.
Unknown said…
Yes music is top 3 for me also - but I have slidin away late l need something new my Ipod is stating to skip.
hedgewitch said…
You shake it, girl! I so know what you mean, and I know there have been times in my life where I might not have made it through as the same person without it. Love the pics.
Susie Swanson said…
You go girl. Music always and still fuels my soul along with dancing. I love to dance. Sounds like our style is much the same..
Maggie Grace said…
Lovely and fun read. You go, girl!
Anonymous said…
I too have to have a soundtrack to my life. :)
LaTonya Baldwin said…
Oh the dance and the music. Another shared passion.