Studious Stripper

Go in there fully dressed
with all your the’s and a’s
buttoned tight in your verses.

Layer on thesaurus chosen words
to make readers wonder what
hides within your vocabulary
until they beg you to drop
that high collar phraseology
to expose your literary assets.

Shake your rhyming until
they pant with expectation
then give them an ending
that leaves your soul as bare
as the day you first thought
you could write.

Oh, Ok, I think I have it,
less words and more meaning.


©Susie Clevenger 2013

 Fireblossom at Real Toads gave us a list of words to build a title and poem from. (Don't tell anyone but I have been stalking Mama Zen to learn a few tricks on how to write.)  





Comments

Billy Blue Eyes said…
Wish I could write like that
Kerry O'Connor said…
Standing Ovation!!

Excellent metaphor Susie, and so cleverly wrought.
Kay L. Davies said…
Wonderfully done, Susie. One of those "I wish I'd written that" moments happening here.
K
Herotomost said…
Haaa....damn Susie that was as clever as it gets. Very few that can play with word with this kind of deft. Awesome!
Outstanding, Susie. One of the best poems I have ever read about writing.
hedgewitch said…
until they beg you to drop
that high collar phraseology
to expose your literary assets.

That made me both laugh and grind my teeth reminiscently--I love the twist you gave to the title words, Susie--we are indeed strippers all in the word craft, and I think that's better than just going for the euphemism 'exotic dancer.'
Fireblossom said…
Been learning at the feet of our brevity expert, have you, Susie? ;-)
LaTonya Baldwin said…
All sookie, sookie, now. ;->
ed pilolla said…
this is dropping science on the poetry crowd. what a read. second read twice as nice:)
Mouth watering piece of writing intricate use of delicious words!