I ~ You

“And the little screaming fact that sounds through all history: repression works only to strengthen and knit the repressed.” 
― John SteinbeckThe Grapes of Wrath


I am hungry and
you feed me.

I am thirsty and
you give me wine.

I punch a time clock and
you answer to the sun.

I complain of cost and
you pay the price.


©Susie Clevenger 2014


Reflecting on the food I eat. It arrives at a cost far greater than dollar signs. Humbled by those who toil for so little to bless me with so much. My heart goes out to the migrant workers. Thank you seems so inadequate.

Marian over at Real Toads provided music by David Hidalgo as inspiration for our poetry. Real Toads ~ The Valley

Comments

Marian said…
ooohhhhhh. yes. very nice.
Jim said…
Nice opposing personal roles, Susie. This was a little scary. So, I tried to reason. (next here)

All are benefits to the writer, the first set also benefits a provider, the latter action is not directed towards the writer but refer to the willy-nilly reverse conduct of the provider. That was my logic when I read it first time.

Then I set the characters, "I" being a non-working spouse ands the "you" being a working and providing spouse. It sort of fit.

Thank you for explaining what you had in mind, I would not have conceived such on my own. Steinbeck did not change things with my taken care of 'toy'-provider thinking, until I read your note. A title?
Susan said…
And they do and do. Beautifully wrought.
Anonymous said…
Susie, this is brilliant ~
The magnitude of the gift and the difficulty of the work deserves fairer compensation but gratitude is a good place to start.
Fireblossom said…
Oy. I have long ago given up lamb and veal cos I won't eat babies, and I have cut way back on pork, cos pigs are intelligent animals, but now in addition to thinking about what my food really is, i have to think about who provides it? I may starve!
Vandana Sharma said…
Yes, we should always be thankful to lord for his kind grace.
Amrit Sinha said…
Very well written. They truly work hard for us.