Not A Job Tongue

I have no plans to prepare myself
for the bleak marker in genetics
so my watchers will be comforted.

My thoughts will not spill
from a Job tongue to twist
the universe into prophetic kismet.

The sun is to bright,
music too beautiful,
poetry yet unwritten
for me to waste time
training for forgetting.

©Susie Clevenger 2016

Recently my sister, Debby, shared this TED talk with me
then gave a hearty "Hell no!" to it. I wander occasionally
through the possibility of the monster lurking in me,
but I won't dwell or prepare for the disease.

Comments

Sherry Blue Sky said…
YES! "Hell, no!" Living Now, absorbing the joys, is the only way to go. If we forget, later.....well, at least we wont know that. I hope.
Absolutely not! Just live now.
Jim said…
I'm with you here Susie. Enjoy what we have now and leave coping with what will come until it comes. Plan to endure then. Every male in Dad's side of the family, back to at least my great grandfather became blind by macular degeneration in their 80's or 90's. Some of the ladies also. It will be hard to 'write' poetry then. Or drive. Or ... But there is some peripheral vision that generally remains.
..
Kerry O'Connor said…
One cannot live under a cloud! I love the fight in these lines, Susie. Your conclusions are always so brilliant and this is no exception.
hedgewitch said…
Totally agree--crossing those bridges before you can even see the river is futile and depressing, to me--and as your poem says, it seems like accepting a kind of defeat somehow. Have you seen the last season of Wallander with Kevin Branagh? He plays a Swedish detective who had huge issues with his self-centered father, who eventually developed Alzheimer's, and in the last season of the series, he has to deal with it himself--very well done tackling of the issue, imo, and a lot better than pretending one has a power one doesn't by taking a course. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/wallander/
I am also a hearty "hell no!" But I have had these thoughts before--and hope they don't settle in and take root--Love your ending here!
Outlawyer said…
Ha. Love your spirit, Suzie! An inspiration! k.