The Song Of Father's Shoes

A poor boy’s song
sings from my father’s shoes
in strains of hunger and rock soil.

The lyrics of a church hymn
play across scuffed leather
where a young boy stood tall
to reach Jesus in harmony
with his mother’s voice.

Tightly tied shoe laces try
to fill the gap between moving on
and the pain of a motherless child
watching six feet of dirt separate
him from the warmth of gentle arms.

My father’s shoes are an empty nest
where secrets roost and tears never dry.
I talk to the ghosts, who linger there,
but silence eats each bread crumb I drop
until unanswered questions erase footprints
that will never lead me home.


Comments

Love this, especially your last stanza--
Magaly Guerrero said…
I thought that last stanza was going to rip my heart out. Such powerful imagery.
Anonymous said…
Very creative expression
kaykuala said…
My father’s shoes are an empty nest
where secrets roost and tears never dry.

Reminiscent of some moving moments not easily forgotten!

Hank