A Bit Gray In My Escape
















It’s a bit gray in my escape.
I’ve hung bright colored curtains,
but these walls are wrong.

The paint was supposed
to have a touch of pearl,
you know “jewelry on drab,”
but it hits with something
more like incarceration.

I should paint the walls red,
make it feel like I’m inside a heart.
It would be a nice contrast
to the teeth marks I can leave with my tongue.

Oh well, butterflies can’t always choose
the right shade for their cocoons,
but they can pick the attitude for a new set of wings.

©Susie Clevenger 2017

#NaPoWriMo2017

Real Toads ~ Out of Standard ~ Signs Of The Times

Comments

Anonymous said…
This was wonderful!
De Jackson said…
Oh, my. Perfection.
Angie said…
Love your descriptions of the wrong wall color
Magaly Guerrero said…
May our wings reflect our choosing...
Kerry O'Connor said…
This is one of my favourites of your April poems, Susie. The description of the grey room - the figurative incarceration - is just stunning.
hyperCRYPTICal said…
Perfection indeed.
Anna :o]
Anonymous said…
The contrast form grey to red is magnificent and then the blooming of choice.Beautiful.
Anonymous said…
Well told cast of wisdom.
A lovely reinterpretation of the sign. I adore your cheery conclusion.
Isadora Gruye said…
Susie, I really like where you took the phrasing of "walls are wrong." You really made it feel personal and intimate to your narrator. This is shiny and new. Thanks so much for posting to the out of standard and Viva la!!!!
grapeling said…
indeed they can ~
Rommy said…
The protagonist feels like a prisoner who has already planned her method of escape and is just passing her time picking out the most stylish form of exit. Hopefully she won't need to bite her tongue too long before she can fly off.
Bekkie Sanchez said…
Awesome write and that last stanza is marvelous! Just what I'd expect from you, Susie! Sorry, it took me so long to get here and read finally got the time on Easter Sunday.