My Eyes Are Green Plaster












My eyes are green plaster,
the scent of hell, a muffled cry
pulled from the roots of a last smile.

Tears gather shadows to parade
across the ceiling and soot secrets
into my eyelids where nightmares hide.

Normal plays hide and seek…I twist
my doll’s hands into prayers, but their
plastic God only cares about ruffled lace.

Giggles join hands…Pink cheeks chase the sun.
I am a ghost dressed in hand me downs,
two shoe laces away from their ring of rosie.

I chase crows…They sing of robins.
Eenie meanie...The Monster drinks daylight.
My eyes are green plaster and I can’t speak plastic God.


©Susie Clevenger 2017

Fireblossom Friday: "The Distorted Lens"

Comments

Sherry Blue Sky said…
I especially like the ghost dressed in hand me downs, two shoelaces away from the ring of rosie. Good one, Susie.
brudberg said…
To me there is nothing more scary than a doll gone bad... those little hands growing claws, little teeth and those unflinching eyes... yes this is nightmare.
Debi Swim said…
Agree with Bjorn...my scariest Twilight Zone was the one with Telly Savalas and his step-daughter's doll.
Fireblossom said…
"plastic God only cares about ruffled lace" Whoa! As usual, you bring the pen on fire.
Outlawyer said…
Oh, this is so sad and so potent--the end especially piercing, Susie. Hope things are better there. All best, k.
Only a small step away from The Twilight Zone. This is so well done, Susie!
Anonymous said…
What a world you painted.
Jim said…
I too think this is sad, very sad (but written so well). "two shoe laces away from their ring of rosie." it doesn't get much worse than this. Only being pushed into the fire perhaps, maybe not. When prayer doesn't seem to bring much better that too is pitiful. I know the history of this, it always makes me sad. I am glad that is gone but it will never be forgotten nor forgiven. I won't, one cannot.
..
Julian said…
A well penned poem in its entirety, I especially liked your 2nd stanza.
Sanaa Rizvi said…
'Tears gather shadows to parade across the ceiling and soot secrets into my eyelids where nightmares hide'.. this is so incredibly potent!
kaykuala said…
Little girls see dolls as a living thing. It makes them scary of any adverse situations affecting these dolls!


Hank
lynn__ said…
A mysterious and disturbing write...false gods cannot assuage fears!